Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Interview

In this interview with my mentor, I asked questions to which I didn't already know the answer (seeing as Karla was my mentor in the Fall too):

ME: What is a typical work day like?
Karla Alvarez: Long, incredibly busy and very fast-paced. If I am not in meetings, I have people stopping by the office, answering phone calls and doing my own set of research and writing projects. My activities vary day by day, depending on whether we have a high-level guest or a large conference to prepare for (like now). Otherwise, I’m working on expanding the program, coming up with new ideas and fundraising.

ME: How long have you worked here?
KA: I started as a work study student my freshman year (Sept. ’03). As a senior (’06-’07), I was asked to take over the WorldLink Program covering most programmatic aspects while still enrolled at USD full-time – I wasn’t sleeping much. Upon graduation (’07), I was hired as full-time program staff and here I am today.

ME: Why did you choose to work here?
KA: I first found out about the IPJ while visiting USD as a junior in high school. I knew then that this was somewhere I wanted to be involved. Over the years, the programs and the people I have met through the IPJ have inspired me to learn more about and respect the very necessary work of peacebuilding. Although my salary may not be high compared to some of my friends, I am truly rewarded at the end of the day when I think about the team of dedicated staff I get to work with, while we are trying to amplify the voices of the marginalized. There is no financial award that can beat that.

ME: What skills and training are necessary for your position?
KA: Typically, an MA in Conflict Resolution/Peacebuilding, International Relations, Development, or related field is required and several years of field experience. However, my experience is very different from the traditional route and I consider myself quite lucky. I had no idea my freshman year of college that the IPJ would be the place where I started my career as a full-time professional. All I knew then is that I admired the work of the institute and I gave 100% to all of my projects. Somehow the program staff noticed that and gave me increasingly more complex projects until they felt I was ready to manage a program of my own. I suppose this experience has taught me that you never know where you might eventually end up, but working hard and respecting your colleagues will always be noticed, appreciated and perhaps even rewarded.

ME: What qualifications do employees need to be successful here?
KA: Humor is essential. So often the issues we have to deal with are daunting and terribly sad, so it is important to maintain a sense of humor and positivity. Hope, commitment, dedication, patience, capacity for long-term vision, compassion. What I have noticed among my colleagues is that this is our passion. We could not imagine working anywhere else and we are most alive when we are “in the field” or truly in the middle of working on our own projects.

ME: Do you find there are additional rewards beyond money in this career?
KA: Yes, look at my answer for why I chose to work here. People in this career do not do it for the money. I suppose our priorities are different.

As you can tell, my mentor Karla is a truly inspirational person, as is anyone who dedicates him or herself to the cause of Peace and Justice. I feel very lucky to be a part of the IPJ for the next three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment