Thursday, January 14, 2010

First Impressions

I have been interning at WorldLink since September, but here are the impressions I first had compared with my impressions now:

Both at the beginning and now, the Institute for Peace gave me an impression of a lot of friendly, funny people who are very serious about the work they do and are all committed to making the world a better place through their work. That's what's so great about the IPJ: No one is here because they needed something to just pay the bills, build their job resume, or anything like that. That kind of environment is so foreign to the IPJ--everyone is here to help, be a part of this community, and do their best to make the world a better place and improve the quality of life of many many people around the world. The feeling I get from here is that we are a community of people all striving, in our own ways, to reach out a hand to those in need and make a difference.

Now, I feel the positive, vibrant energy much more that we allput forward to get a great result out. It's very cool.

WorldLink's mission is to connect youth to global affairs. At the beignning, I suppose I didn't quite know what this meant; I knew they put on programs and events to inform local youth about what's going on in the world, but now I see more of the extent to which WorldLInk puts in an effort to get youth caring and acting on their compassion. It's inspiring.

New skills I need for this internship include more public speaking and desk work skills, although I feel strong about these already.

I just love WorldLink and the IPJ. It's such a great environment where everyone supports each other and we're working for the greater good. It feels professional and useful every time I'm at hte IPJ. It's a wonderful internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment